|Chapter 12: DNA Technology|
Biology and Society: Hunting for Genes
2. List four ways that DNA technology plays a significant role in our lives.
Recombinant DNA Technology
4. Explain how genetic engineering is used to produce humulin, human growth hormone, vaccines, crops, and "pharm" animals.
5. Explain how recombinant DNA techniques are used to mass produce a protein from an isolated gene.
6. Describe the process of cloning genes using plasmids.
7. Explain how restriction enzymes and DNA ligase are used to create recombinant DNA.
8. Explain how the “shotgun” approach produces a genomic library.
DNA Fingerprinting and Forensic Science
10. Explain how the polymerase chain reaction (PCR), restriction
fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis, and gel electrophoresis are used
in the process of DNA fingerprinting.
12. Describe the other types of organisms that have been the subject of recent sequencing efforts. Explain why these particular organisms have been examined.
13. Explain how comparative genomics can even be used to investigate acts of bioterrorism and track the spread of disease.
14. Describe the three stages used by the public consortium
to map the human genome. Compare this process to the methods used by Celera
Human Gene Therapy
Safety and Ethical Issues
17. Describe the concerns for the abuse of genetic information
and technology as it relates to human society.
Evolution Connection: Genomes
Hold Clues to Evolution